The Pencil Monument, built in 1912, commemorates the Battle of Largs which took place in 1263, when the people of the area successfully vanquished attacks by the Norwegian Vikings. There had been many raids on the west of Scotland, and during a heavy storm, more than 160 Viking longships were beached in the Largs area. It is believed this allowed the Scottish King Alexander III and his armies to defeat the attackers. The Battle of Largs is considered one of the most important battles in the history of Scotland and the Pencil Monument reminds locals and visitors of the defeat of the Vikings for the last time in the UK.
Every year at the end of August, a Viking Festival is held in Largs to celebrate the current friendly alliance between the Scots and those with Viking ancestry. A replica of a Viking village is constructed on the seafront and many Scandinavians return year after year to join the celebrations. Re-enactments of Viking weddings and funerals take place and visitors can learn about how the Vikings lived. After a full week of events, the festival ends with a spectacular firework display next to the Pencil Monument, after a mock Viking longship is ceremonially burnt on the shore.
The Viking Experience is situated in Vikingar on the seafront and offers a realistic representation of the saga of the Vikings in Scotland. It includes costumed storytellers, a five screen film of a typical Viking family of the period and multi-media displays in the Hall of Knowledge. For more information call 01475 689777.
Largs Museum is in the town centre and opens for the summer, thanks to the volunteers from Largs Historical Society. The Museum has been at its present site since 1975, but it opened in 1967 in two weavers’ cottages in Manse Court.
The Museum is open from 2pm to 5pm Mondays to Sundays, inclusive, from the last week of May until the first Sunday in September. Visits at other times can be arranged by contacting the Historical Society at www.largsmuseum.org.uk. From September to April, there are monthly lectures by invited speakers on a wide range of topics relating to Largs and the surrounding area.The Museum is also open for the North Ayrshire Open Doors Day on the first Sunday in September.
This tomb dates from the Neolithic period, approximately beginning in 9500BC, commonly known as the New Stone Age. The tomb is in Douglas Park in Largs.
The Three Sisters are actually three stone pillars erected as a monument to Sir Thomas Brisbane who built an observatory in 1808 at Brisbane House. They are on Green Hill and are meridian sighting posts which enabled Sir Thomas Brisbane to establish due north, even when the north star wasn’t visible. In Brisbane Glen, there is another pillar near his observatory but it’s much smaller. Originally, it was used as a point of sight for the Three Sisters.
The Reverend William Smith, a Largs minister during the time of the Plague, is buried on a site just off Brisbane Glen Road. The legend is that if the two yew trees growing at the entrance to the grave ever join at the top, the Plague will return to Largs.
A memorial to Robert Burns, designed by Robert McKay, was opened in 1978 in Douglas Park. It is situated at the back of the park in a Victorian garden.
The Aisle is the only remaining part of a church (a kirk) demolished in 1802 when a new parish church was built. The Aisle was retained because it contains the mausoleum of the Montgomerie family. Sir Robert Montgomerie, a local Laird, built the mausoleum for the burial of his wife, Dame Margaret Douglas, and himself. It was added to the original kirk in 1636,
Skelmorlie Aisle comprises a Renaissance tomb above the canopied entrance. The ceiling is painted timber and depicts scenes showing the seasons as well as the Montgomerie and Douglas coats of arms which are joined together.
Admission is free, but as the Aisle is usually closed, visitors need to obtain a key from the Largs Museum next to it. The Museum and the kirkyard are open 2pm - 5pm from late May until early September. See the website wwwlargsmuseum.org.
To commemorate the important part that Largs played in the Allied Forces winning WWII, the Director General of the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust unveiled a memorial next to the RNLI Station on Largs seafront in 2010.
During the war, Largs was used as a Seaplane Base for the reception of flying boats. Catalina airplanes landed there, some fitted with special equipment to enable them to win the Battle of the Atlantic and bring down German U-Boats. Countless lives were saved. The planes were then deployed to Russia to help protect the shipping lanes.
The Centre, in St Columba’s Parish Church, is a recent, valuable addition to Largs. It houses many exhibits from pre-Christian times, a history of the church itself and information on several well known residents of Largs, past and present.
The red sandstone church was built in 1892 but the original church on the site is believed to have been constructed about 625AD.
There is information on the Brisbane Family whose most famous member was Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane. He became the 6th Governor General of New South Wales, Australia and gave his name to the city of Brisbane. There are still strong links between Largs and Brisbane. Sir Thomas and his family were buried in the tomb at Skelmorlie Aisle in Largs.
Other famous sons and daughters of Largs include the golfers Bob and Sam Torrance, the singers Gallacher and Lyle and the actress Daniela Nardini.
The Heritage Centre is run by volunteers and opens from April to October, 10am - 4pm and November to March 11am - 3pm, if volunteers are available. Further information is available from www.largscolumba.com or 01475686212.
Kelburn Castle is the home of the Earls of Glasgow. It is considered the oldest castle in Scotland to have been continuously inhabited by the same family. The Boyle family came from Normandy with William the Conqueror and settled at Kelburn in 1143. The Castle incorporates a 13th century keep and the present building was constructed in about 1580. A mansion house was added in 1700 by the first Earl of Glasgow and in 1880 a Victorian wing was added.
The extensive grounds contain historic gardens, a glen with waterfalls and gorges and two heritage trees. There are views over the Firth of Clyde and the islands of Arran and the Cumbraes. There is also a riding and trekking centre, a falconry centre and regular Ranger-led walks throughout the year.
The Country Centre includes The Secret Forest, a family history cartoon collection, the Home Farm, a café and gift shop and a New Zealand Museum. The exterior wall of the Castle bears a colourful graffiti mural created by four graffiti artists from Brazil.
The Country Centre is open 10am - 6pm daily from April to October. Contact www.kelburnestate.com or 01475 568121.
Fife boats are famous all over the world. William Fyfe began building fishing boats in the 19th century on the shore at Fairlie, a mile from Largs. He built his first yacht in 1812, making them on the foreshore, which he rented from the Earl of Glasgow. At that time there was no demand for pleasure craft so William gave the task to his son William, while the elder William continued to make fishing and trading boats. The younger William built “Stella” in 1849 and after that, the boatyard was the focus for yacht building. As people became wealthier, pleasure yachts and yacht racing became more popular. The younger William created the now famous Fife yachts, which were beautiful and fast. There were many experienced boatbuilders and craftsmen in the area to work in the boatyard.
The third William joined the business in 1885. His father died in 1902, but the third William is probably the most famous for his ocean racing and cruising yachts. He died in 1944 and his nephew Robert sold the business after the Second World War.
Arriving from Italy, Rosa and Pietro Nardini set up their first ice cream shop in Paisley in 1890 and soon became famous for their delicious desserts. Their sons, Augusto, Nardino and Sandrino saw that there was a market for a business in Largs, where day visitors came “doon the water” on holiday. Their Largs café opened in 1935 and is still a popular and well known venue. The newly refurbished café and restaurant has retained its Art Deco style and is easily recognisable on the esplanade with views of Cumbrae, Arran and the Firth of Clyde.